PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet System

vustudents
08-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Q.10: Explain the cabinet system under the British Constitution(2001-A)(2003-A)
Q. Discuss Nature And Functions of English cabinet (2002-A)
1- Introduction:
“cabinet is central stone of political arch.”
(Prof. Lowell).
The cabinet is the real executive of the British System. It is also called the ministry of the government. The cabinet has been defined as a body of royal adviser, chosen by the prime Minster in the names of the crown. The Cabinet must acknowledge the Supremacy of the prime Minister and follow the policy laid down by the prime Minister.
2- Evolution Of Cabinet System:
Originally cabinet was committee of the privy counsel which became too, large for administration work. King Charles II (1660-85) began to consult a small group of privy councilors in matter of state. The cabinet is called the child of Privy Council. In the reign of Charles II the Cabinet acquired a formal shape. The cabinet system further developed during the reign of William III and Queen Anne. During the reign of George I, the Office of the prime Minister came into existence.
3- Nature Of The British Cabinet:
The Cabinet is a body unrecognized by law. Its existence is only customary, i.e. based on custom or convention.
4- Composition Of British Cabinet:
The Crown sends for the recognized leader of political party which has the majority called prime Minister and asks him to form the Cabinet.
5- Feature Of The Cabinet System:
Following are the features of the cabinet system.
I. Exclusion Of The King From Cabinet:
The Queen or King dose not attend the cabinet meeting. It has become Constitutional convention.
II. Co-Operation Between Cabinet And Parliament:
There is complete co-operation and harmony between the cabinet and the parliament.
III. Leadership Of The Prime Minister:
The prime Minister plays dominant role cabinet. The cabinet is formed by the prime Minister. He is the Keystone of the cabinet arch.
IV. Secrecy:
The meetings of the cabinet are secret and private. Every members of cabinet takes the oath of Secrecy. The discussion is not disclose in the public.
V. No Legal Status:
The British cabinet has no legal statues. There is no mention of cabinet in the written part of the Constitution . the Cabinet is called the child of the conventions.
VI. Ministerial Responsibility:
The Cabinet members are responsible l to the house of common individually as well as collectively and they are liable to law for their acts.
VII. Political Homogenity:
Political Homogenity means, s that all the members of the Cabinet should have similar views of their policies the members of cabinet have same views because they belong to one political party.
VIII. Collective Responsibility:
The members are collectively responsible. The result is that all the members work as a team. The cabinet stand or falls together as a unit.
IX. Unity Of Cabinet:
Unity of cabinet is the outstanding features of British cabinet system. The cabinet always acts as Unity. They are supposed to face the House with one voice.
6- Functions Of The British Cabinet:
Following are the important functions of the British parliament.
I. Policy Determining Functions:
The Cabinet is policy formulating body. the Cabinet discuss and decide all sort of national and International problems. The Cabinet decides the measures which are ti received priority.
II. Exceucitve Functions:
The cabinet is the real executive.
(i) The Cabinet formulate the general policy of the Government.
(ii) It determines the foreign policy of the Government.
(iii) The Cabinet determines measure for war and peace.
(iv) All important appointments are made by the cabinet.
III. Legislative Functions:
The Cabinet the controls the Legislatives activities.
(i) The parliament is summoned on the advice of the cabinet by the King.
(ii) The speech of the King in parliament is prepared by the cabinet.
(iii) The cabinet explains all bills which are to be passed in the parliament.
(iv) The cabinet guide he leader of house in the parliament.
IV. Financial Functions:
The Cabinet play important role the regard. It prepares the budget for the country and is responsible for the whole expenditure of the stock. The chancellor of exchequer is the finance minister of the country and in the member of the cabinet.
V. Judicial Functions:
(i) The judges of important Courts are appointed on the advice of cabinet by the king.
(ii) The rules and regulation for judiciary are prepared by the cabinet.
(iii) The power of pardon, reprieve and respite is exercised by the king on the advice of the Cabinet.
7- Conclusion:
To conclude, I can say, that the working of the cabinet system in England is a process of sloe and evolution prime Minister is the head cabinet who forms his cabinet , under the order of king , amongst who member of the parliament cabinet exercises large powers in almost every sphere of Governance.