PDA

View Full Version : Write an easy on A Marriage Procession Passing Through A Street

vustudents
06-22-2011, 12:32 AM
In the modern quarters of the city seeing a marriage party going to the bride, s house, or a five-star hotel is not much fun. You do not see much of the groom and marriage party as a it whizzes past you in a motorcade. However, a marriage passing through a street in the older part of the city is a wonderful sight. Last Saturday while walking down a narrow street in the old city. I heard firecrackers exploding at a distance. Then came to sound of a drum. I did not know what to make of these sound, but the people of the locality did, in a few minutes the street was full of children. Some women came out of their houses and stood in little lanes on both sides of the street. People passing through the street was slackened their pace. Then I knew what the bang of the firecrackers and the sound of the drum meant. A marriage procession was coming towards the street. As the noise of music and firecrackers grew louder people moved to the sides of the street. Shopkeepers came out of their shops. Everybody waited to see the marriage procession. At last the procession entered the street. At the head of the procession was a band with drums, bag-pipes and flutes. They wore colourful but rather shabby uniforms. The bandmaster with an ornamental staff in his hand strutted in front of his men. They bridegroom dressed in shalwar, qameez and achkan was sitting on a horse. His face was hidden behind a golden sehra. All around the horse were his relatives and fridens, walking on foot. Some two hundred marriage guests followed. The marriage procession went on at a leisurely pace while woman standing on rooftops and men and children lining both sides of the street watched. Every few minutes a near relative of the bridegroom would take a handful of coins from a bag and toss them in the ar. Beggars and children laughing and shouting, would rush this way and that way to collect as many coins as they could. The marriage procession took half an hour the other end of the street end disappear round the corner. As the sound of music faded away, the women on the rooftops went down to attend to their household work, and the crowd gathered in the street slowly melted away.