Assignment 1: (Fall 2010)
TOTAL MARKS: 20
Due Date:28 /10/2010
DON’T MISS THESE Important instructions:
• To solve this assignment, you should have good command over first 6 lectures.
• Upload assignments properly through LMS, (No Assignment will be accepted through email).
• Write your ID on the top of your solution file.
• All students are directed to use the font and style of text as is used in this document.
• Don’t use colorful back grounds in your solution files.
• Use Math Type or Equation Editor etc for mathematical symbols.
• This is not a group assignment, it is an individual assignment so be careful and avoid copying
others’ work. If some assignment is found to be copy of some other, both will be awarded zero
marks. It also suggests you to keep your assignment safe from others. No excuse will be accepted
by anyone if found to be copying or letting others copy.
• �Prepare your assignment in word doc.
• Don’t wait for the last date to submit your assignment.
Q # 1
Consider a box that is placed on different surfaces. Marks = 10
a) In which situation (s) is there no force acting on the box?
b) In which situation (s) is there a static friction force acting on the box?
c) In which situation (s) is there a kinetic friction force acting on the box?
Various possible situations are as under:
I. The box is at rest on a rough horizontal surface.
II. The box is at rest on a rough tilted surface.
III. The box is on the rough-surfaced flat bed of a truck- the truck is moving at a
constant velocity on a straight, level road and the box remains in the same
place in the middle of the truck bed.
IV. The box is on the rough-surfaced flat bed of a truck- the truck is speeding up
on a straight, level road, and box remains in the same place in the middle of
the truck bed.
V. The box is on the rough-surfaced flat bed of a truck- the truck is climbing a
hill, and the box is sliding towards the back of the truck.
Q # 2
A spaceship is moving in the vacuum of outer space, far from any planet, when its engine
dies. As a result, the spaceship slows down and stops. What does Newton‘s first law say
about this event? Marks = 5
Q # 3
A traffic light of weight W hangs from two light cables; one on each side of the light.
Each cable hangs at a 450 angle from the horizontal. What I the tension in each cable?
Marks = 5