Course: Compulsory English – II Course Code: 1424

Semester: Spring, 2012 Level: BA/BS

Total Marks: 100 Pass Marks: 40

ASSIGNMENT No. 1
(Units: 1-4)

Q.1 The following questions are based on unit 1. Read the unit carefully and answer the following questions briefly.

i. Define “academic writing”. What are its major characteristics? (10)

ii. How would you define an “argumentative essay”? (10)

iii. You must have read about the characteristics of formal writing. Now keeping in view the information given in the unit write an essay of 250 words on the topic: “A Cricket Match”. Your essay should contain an introductory paragraph, at least two body paragraphs and a concluding paragraph. (15)

Q.2 Read unit 2 “Sequence” carefully and answer the following questions or solve the following exercises that are given in the unit.

i. Read the text “The Water Cycle” on page 46 and solve exercise 4, given on page 47. complete the sequence paragraph about “The Water Cycle”. (10)

ii. Read the brief account of the “Life of Benazir Bhutto” on pages 53-55. Rearrange the sentences in the correct order and then using the information construct a detailed paragraph on her life using appropriate sequence markers wherever necessary. (15)

Q.3 Read unit 3 “Classification” carefully and then answer the following questions or solve the following exercises that are given in the unit.

i. Complete the tree diagram given on page 85, exercise 5. (10)
Q.4 Read unit 4 “Cause and Effect” carefully and then answer the following questions or solve the following exercises that are given in the Unit.

i. Exercise 2 on page 112 is given in order to help you recognize the causes and effects. Decide which statement is a Cause and which is an Effect. (10)

ii. Read the Cause and Effect paragraph on page 126 and solve exercise 11 on page 127 on the same pattern. (10)

iii. Read the Cause and Effect paragraph about Population on page 135 and fill in the diagram that follows. (10)

ASSIGNMENT No. 2
(Units: 5-9)

Total Marks: 100 Pass Marks: 40

Sponsored Links

Q.1 The following questions are based on unit 5. Read the unit carefully and answer the following questions.

i. Read the text on pages 161-162 that is about the comparison between fresh and frozen food. After reading the text, fill in the missing information in the table given in exercise 7. (10)

ii. Read the scrambled sentences given in exercise 12, page 167. Unscramble/rearrange these sentences and then construct a paragraph using appropriate linking words. (10)

iii. Read the Compare and Contrast essay given in exercise 14. Separate sentences that show Comparison and sentences that show Contrast and write them down in two the separate columns as given under: (10)

Comparison
Contrast

Q.2 Read unit 6 “Academic Reading” carefully and then answer the following questions or solve the following exercises that are given in the unit.

i. Read the sentences given in exercise 4. Fill in the blanks as asked in the exercise. (10)

ii. Read the text given in exercise 9, pages 200-202, and write the answers to the questions given at the end, (page 202). (10)

Q.3 Read unit 7 “Implied Meaning and Making Inferences” carefully and then answer the following questions or solve the following exercises that are given in the unit.

i. In exercise 1, six short and simple passages are given. After reading each passage, answer the 10 questions that are given after each passage. Infer the implied meanings in each. (10)

ii. Read the short story “The New School” carefully. Infer the hidden or implied meanings and answer the questions. (10)

Q.4 Read unit 8 “Denotation and Connotation” carefully and then answer the following questions or solve the following exercises that are given in the unit.

i. In exercise 8 on page 270, pair of words are given. Read these pair of words carefully and write their dictionary meaning or denotation and then guess the connotative meaning of each word. Do any 5. (10)

ii. Read exercise 6 carefully and determine whether the word given in bold has positive, negative or neutral connotation. Do only 10. (10)

Q.5 Read unit 9 “Reading Newspaper” carefully. Answer briefly the following question.

i. Why do we (people) read newspapers? What types of information of local events, announcements etc. can we find in the newspapers? (10)