Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ENG101 English Comprehension - Spring 2011 - Assignment 1 - Idea solution 8 April2011

Windows 32 ENG101 English Comprehension - Spring 2011 - Assignment 1 - Idea solution 8 April2011

Sponsored Links1

Assignment No. 1(Spring 2011)

English Comprehension (ENG101)

Sponsored Links

Total Marks: 15

Lectures: 1-9

Objectives:

• Use of different skills to improve reading comprehension.
    • To improve and enhance the skill to link ideas in sentences.

Instructions:

· Late assignments will not be accepted.
    · Plagiarism will never be tolerated. Plagiarism occurs when a student uses work done by someone else as if it was his or her own or just copy pastes the material from handouts or any internet source without rephrasing it in his/her own words.

Q1: Read the following paragraph and answer the questions given at the end. (Marks 10)

The reading of good books is one of the delightful and life-giving pleasures that a man can have. Books offer us an almost unlimited choice. There are books to suit all our moods. There are books of all sorts, grave and gay, raising us now to sublime heights of thought and feeling, taking us now, on a veritable magic carpet to the land of beauty and peace. There are moments when we are full of a sense of the unintelligible mystery of this world, when we are unable to find any meaning for the conflicts and contradictions of this life. At such times we can well take ourselves to books, a poem perhaps, or a story, and find in what we read an interpretation of the problem that has troubled our mind. There are moments, on the other hand, when we are full of a sense of joy, when we bless this life with all its manifold elements of beauty; and at such times again there are books that fit in with our mood, and add to our delight. Many a poet offers us an escape from all the ugliness and contradiction of this world and takes us to a world of ideal beauty and truth and goodness, where we find a refuge from all that has pained and worried us. One of the great advantage of reading as a source of pleasure is that we do not have to depend upon other people for the pleasure. A book and a shady nook is all that we want. There is no loneliness for those who have learnt to take pleasure in the company of the great men who live for us through their books. Shakespeare, Milton, Shelley and Keats are our friends, always at our sides to comfort and cheer us, to take us out of ourselves into a freer and wiser world.

A- Select the best title for the above passage from the given options: (1)
    a- Exploration of Books
    b- Reading---My Best Escape
    c- The Company of Great Men
    d- Pleasures of Reading

B- Read the above passage carefully and choose the best meaning for the highlighted phrase: (1)
    “There are moments when we are full of a sense of the unintelligible mystery of this world”
    a- A strange feeling of not knowing much
    b- Perplexed state when you find something difficult to explain
    c- State of being in an awe
    d- Sense of loss

C: What is the main idea of the given paragraph? (2)

D: What does the writer mean when he mentions the “sublime heights of thought and feeling?” (3)

E: What is the greatest advantage of reading in your view? (3)

Q2- Join the two sentences with appropriate connectors and make one sentence. (Marks 5)

1- a- It is my resolution not to go to this party.
    b- I have more important things to do.

2- a- I love this black car.
    b- I hate the yellow one.

3- a- You can add the fluid to the powder.
    b- You can add powder to the fluid.

4- a- I read the article.
    b- I highlight the part that interests me the most.

5- a- The house was so well furnished.
    b- Peter decided to throw a thorough glance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

plz give the solution............because my father are in hospital and me not done my assignment.............

Ok miss don't worry it will update today. What happen to your father?

salam, bro how can we find the solution ????

Ws, Dear will be upload soon. Just wait please. if you want quality solution then you have to wait.

plz do soon i also need it v urgent

Assignment No. 1(Spring 2011)
    English Comprehension (ENG101)

Q1: Read the following paragraph and answer the questions given at the end. (Marks 10)

The reading of good books is one of the delightful and life-giving pleasures that a man can have. Books offer us an almost unlimited choice. There are books to suit all our moods. There are books of all sorts, grave and gay, raising us now to sublime heights of thought and feeling, taking us now, on a veritable magic carpet to the land of beauty and peace. There are moments when we are full of a sense of the unintelligible mystery of this world, when we are unable to find any meaning for the conflicts and contradictions of this life. At such times we can well take ourselves to books, a poem perhaps, or a story, and find in what we read an interpretation of the problem that has troubled our mind. There are moments, on the other hand, when we are full of a sense of joy, when we bless this life with all its manifold elements of beauty; and at such times again there are books that fit in with our mood, and add to our delight. Many a poet offers us an escape from all the ugliness and contradiction of this world and takes us to a world of ideal beauty and truth and goodness, where we find a refuge from all that has pained and worried us. One of the great advantage of reading as a source of pleasure is that we do not have to depend upon other people for the pleasure. A book and a shady nook is all that we want. There is no loneliness for those who have learnt to take pleasure in the company of the great men who live for us through their books. Shakespeare, Milton, Shelley and Keats are our friends, always at our sides to comfort and cheer us, to take us out of ourselves into a freer and wiser world.

A- Select the best title for the above passage from the given options: (1)
    a- Exploration of Books
    b- Reading---My Best Escape
    c- The Company of Great Men
    d- Pleasures of Reading
    Answer: option (d) (pleasure of reading)

B- Read the above passage carefully and choose the best meaning for the highlighted phrase: (1)
    “There are moments when we are full of a sense of the unintelligible mystery of this world”
    a- A strange feeling of not knowing much
    b- Perplexed state when you find something difficult to explain
    c- State of being in an awe
    d- Sense of loss
    Answer: option (b)

C: What is the main idea of the given paragraph? (2)
    Answer: Reading is a pleasure because reading reduces stress and expand mind. It can soothe like no other,increased analytical thinking about other people and nature.

D: What does the writer mean when he mentions the “sublime heights of thought and feeling?” (3)
    Answer: The writer means that reading books increase our thoughts and make our feelings extremely good, beautiful and enjoyable.

E: What is the greatest advantage of reading in your view? (3)
    Answer: Reading expands our knowledge and make wide thinking and view. It upgrades our vocabulary and speaking skills.

Q2- Join the two sentences with appropriate connectors and make one sentence. (Marks 5)

1- a- It is my resolution not to go to this party.
    b- I have more important things to do.
    Answer: It is my resolution not to go to this party ,because I have more important things to do.

2- a- I love this black car.
    b- I hate the yellow one.
    Answer: I love this black car ,but I hate the yellow one.

3- a- You can add the fluid to the powder.
    b- You can add powder to the fluid.
    Answer:You can add the fluid to the powder, or you can add powder to the fluid.

4- a- I read the article.
    b- I highlight the part that interests me the most.
    Answer: I read the article, as well as I highlight the part that interests me the most.

5- a- The house was so well furnished.
    b- Peter decided to throw a thorough glance.
    Answer: Not only the house was well furnished , but also Peter decided to throw a thorough glance.

Thanks for posting the solution.

thanx alot bro

you are welcome dear. I request to all members please upload your assignments and post your problems and we will reply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information