Sponsored Links

Thread: ENG101 English Comprehension Assignment No 2 Due Date Spring May 2014

ENG101 English Comprehension Assignment No 2 Due Date Spring May 2014

Sponsored Links1

ENG101 English Comprehension, Spring 2014 Assignment-No 2 Discussion and Solutions Close date May 26, 2014

Chapter 16. Reading: Evaluating Texts: Writer's Tone & Intention

English Comprehension (ENG101)
    Spring 2014

Assignment No. 2
    Total Marks: 15

Objective:
    • To improve students’ awareness of the course and to prepare them for the practical usage of English language.
    • To enhance and examine students’ reading comprehension skills and conceptual knowledge.
    • To assess students’ knowledge of writing skills.

Instructions:

• Late assignments will not be accepted.
    • If the file is corrupt or problematic, it will be marked zero.
    • Plagiarism will never be tolerated. Plagiarism occurs when a student uses work done by someone else as if it was his or her own; however, taking the ideas from different sources and to express it in your own words will be accepted.
    • No assignment will be accepted via e-mail.
    • The file should be in Word doc form; the font color should be preferably black and font size can be 12 Times New Roman.

Q1. Read the following text and answer the questions given below. (10Marks)

My mother raises sheep. There is a field near her house where five sheep live. Their names are Jane, Emma, Charlotte, Georgie and Virginia. They are shy, but very friendly to people who get to know them well. Sometimes, when their hair gets long, my mother cuts it off. She spins their hair into wool and knits the wool into scarves and sweaters.
    My mother’s favorite sheep is Emma. She is the friendliest. My mother gives her carrots. This makes Emma like my mother a lot. Emma is different from the other sheep. While the other sheep have white hair, Emma has black hair. My mother likes Emma because she is the friendliest and because her hair makes beautiful wool. The other sheep like her too. She is very popular!
    One time, many years ago, Emma had a baby sheep. The father of the baby sheep, Henry, was a sheep with white hair. In most ways, Hillary looked just like her parents. She had four legs, each of which ended in hoofs. She had floppy ears and a little nose. When she was hungry, she made the same noise as her parents — “Baaaaaaah.”
    But Hillary also looked a little different from her parents. This is because she did not have white hair, like her father, Henry. And she did not have black hair, like her mother, Emma. She had grey hair. Grey is a color that is between white and black. The baby sheep was very much like her parents, but not exactly.
    My mother also likes to grow flowers. She has a big garden next to the field. In it, she has many different types of flowers. She has roses, poppies and dandelions. She also grows plants. She has tomato plants, squash plants, and a plant with lots of thorns that grows blackberries. She even has two trees. These trees make apples, but they don’t taste very good.
    A long time ago, my mother had only one apple tree. One day, this tree grew an apple. My mother took this apple and opened it until she could see the seeds inside. She took a seed and planted it. She watered the ground for several weeks. Then, a small green bud came out of the ground. Soon, the small bud turned into a little tree. My mother kept watering the tree and the tree kept growing. After a while, the second tree was just as tall as the first tree. Because the second tree had grown from a seed from the first tree, the first tree was its parent.
    When my mother looks at her two trees, she sees that they look very much alike. They are about the same height. They are both green, with lots of leaves. And they both grow apples. However, they are not exactly alike. The first tree had nine branches and the second tree has ten. The first tree leans a little to the left and the second tree leans a little to the right. So, just like my mother’s sheep, the second tree was very much, but not exactly, like its parent.

1. What does the passage compare to an apple tree?
    A. The passage compares a rose to an apple tree.
    B. The passage compares a tomato to an apple tree.
    C. The passage compares a sheep to an apple tree.

2. Living things have a lot in common with their parents.
    What information in the story supports this idea?
    A. Hillary looks and sounds like her parents.
    B. Hillary has floppy ears and a little nose.
    C. The mother of the character in this story has a big garden.

3. What is one way that Hillary and the second apple tree are different?
    A. Hillary has one parent, while the apple tree has two.
    B. Hillary has two parents, while the apple tree has one.
    C. Hillary has three parents, while the apple tree has two.

4. What is the main idea of this passage?
    A. Apple trees and blackberries are easier to grow than tomatoes and squash.
    B. Many people like wearing sweaters and scarves made from wool.
    C. Living things are very much like their parents but not the same.

5. Read these sentences: “My mother took this apple and opened it until she could see the seeds inside. She took a seed and planted it.”
    What does the word seed mean?
    A. A part of a plant from which a new plant can grow
    B. An animal with long hair that can be cut off and made into clothing
    C. A big garden with many different kinds of flowers and tree

Q2. Write down 5 W’s for each of the following sentences. (who, what, where, when why) (5 Marks)

Who what where when why

Example: I bake bread in the oven today because I am hungry.

Sentence Who What Where When Why

1. I was late for school on Monday because it was raining.

Sponsored Links

2. I have a new bike in my house today because it is my birthday.

3. My mom has many clothes in the closet because she likes to shop.

4. They drink water in the gym everyday because water is healthy.

5. She has a watch on her hand to see the time.

Q 1 Solution:

C =The passage compares a sheep to an apple tree
    2:
    A = Hillary looks and sounds like her parents
    3:
    B = Hillary has two parents, while the apple tree has one
    4:
    C =living things are very much like their parents but not the same
    5:
    A = A part of a plant from which a new plant can grow.

Solution of Question No. 2

file.jpg

Thread Information