MGT503 - Principles of Management Assignment No. 1 Semester Fall November 2012

PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT (MGT503)

Fall 2012

ASSIGNMENT NO. 1

Due Date: 15 November, 2012

Marks: 20

Case:

“The trouble with management as a field of study and practice is that it has no scientific base.” Mr. Najmi, a space scientist, said to his laboratory head, Mr. Khan. “I feel I know what I am doing when I design a guidance system for a rocket because I have the space, propulsion, and other sciences available to tell me what to do. But when you ask me if I am doing a good job as a supervisor of my engineering and technical team, there is nothing, no science of management, to guide me. In my readings of the books on management, I get the idea that management must operate on a closed-system basis, that the best things managers can do are to be friendly, consult with their subordinates on every little thing, and develop strict rules and procedures so that no subordinate can make a mistake”, he added.

“As I think about it, I cannot see much science in management. And I wonder what good management books, articles and management development courses are ever going to do any of us. So we have to wait for centuries when a science of management, as an exact science like physics, is developed?” he exclaimed.

Mr. Khan, having been exposed to a number of management development seminars that had emphasized the usefulness and importance of the management knowledge, was taken aback by Najmi’s outburst. But he was impressed that what his subordinate had said did make a lot of sense. He was, however, at a loss as how to respond to Najmi.

Questions:

1. If you were Mr. Khan, how would you respond to Mr. Najmi’s statement? (10 Marks)
2. What would you suggest be done to make management more scientific? (10 Marks)

Important:

24 hours extra / grace period after the due date is usually available to overcome uploading difficulties. This extra time should only be used to meet the emergencies and above mentioned due dates should always be treated as final to avoid any inconvenience.

Other Important Instructions:

Deadline:

Make sure to upload the solution file before the due date on VULMS.
Any submission made via email after the due date will not be accepted.

Formatting guidelines:

Use the font style “Times New Roman” or “Arial” and font size “12”.
It is advised to compose your document in MS-Word format.
You may also compose your assignment in Open Office format.
Use black and blue font colors only.

Referencing Guidelines:

Use APA style for referencing and citation. For guidance search “APA reference style” in Google and read various website containing information for better understanding or visit APA REFERENCE STYLE: Table of Contents

Rules for Marking

Sponsored Links

Please note that your assignment will not be graded or graded as Zero (0), if:

It is submitted after the due date.
The file you uploaded does not open or is corrupt.
It is in any format other than MS-Word or Open Office; e.g. Excel, PowerPoint, PDF etc.
It is cheated or copied from other students, internet, books, journals etc.

Other Important Instructions:

Deadline:

Make sure to upload the solution file before the due date on VULMS.
Any submission made via email after the due date will not be accepted.

Formatting guidelines:

Use the font style “Times New Roman” or “Arial” and font size “12”.
It is advised to compose your document in MS-Word format.
You may also compose your assignment in Open Office format.
Use black and blue font colors only.

Referencing Guidelines:

Use APA style for referencing and citation. For guidance search “APA reference style” in Google and read various website containing information for better understanding or visit APA REFERENCE STYLE: Table of Contents

Rules for Marking

Please note that your assignment will not be graded or graded as Zero (0), if:

It is submitted after the due date.
The file you uploaded does not open or is corrupt.
It is in any format other than MS-Word or Open Office; e.g. Excel, PowerPoint, PDF etc.
It is cheated or copied from other students, internet, books, journals etc.